Thursday, May 14, 2009

Verdict:Bliss

Hello fans, imaginary or not. I'd like to share with you a short film done by my great friend AJ Maas and his group of friends. Who I also know, but I'm doing this for AJ because he wanted my opinion.

So here we go.


Bliss; defined as a state of extreme happiness. I found it real ironic that in the movie, there was barely any signs of extreme happiness, or bliss. So that's already a biased review.

Plot; The story of bliss is totally original. The whole scenario is totally exageratted, in a sense of it probably won't be happening any time soon. It's bordering in fairytale and realistic. A lot of symbolism that I saw, like Catherine, Noah's girlfriend, particular events where Noah decides to help Catherine and the other little characters. I loved the tie in with the cousin and the first victim. That was a total plus for me. The best part, and screw you readers if you'll hate me for ruining it, was the ending. When he ended up where he found Catherine, I thought that was awesome. This is my interpretation, though it's not what yours is, I'm sure you'll appreciate that I thought about it this way. Catherine is the city, corrupt and feeds off other corrupt and evil criminals. And by Noah feeding Catherine the various prostitutes, whores, etc, Noah too became submerged in that corrupt world. The whole thing with Gary's character (forgot his name) and how Gary first signified the evil and hate in the city, sort of pushing Noah to create a totally new persona was a great fire starter for the story. I love the thin ice relationships all the characters had with one another. The scenes where Noah would go hunting, per se, were acted greatly. When the story was beginning to sway in that direction, I was wondering if you had the right idea in how to pull off the criminal scenes. I could go on, but my mind's beginning to fade from a lack of the cousin of death. The only downpart was I felt like you compacted a big story into a short film. Something like what they did to Harry Potter & LOTR, but when you have deadlines, you have deadlines.


Film wise; The angles of the various shot were awesome. Cutting from one angle to another, film wise, kept me interested. Though I must admit, that the camera person was a bit shaky here and there, it's nothing to bring down the overall status of the movie. I'm still wondering how you could trust your camera to stand at that angle when Noah's girlfriend broke up with him. (Again, screw you readers, just watch the damn film already.) The various effects portrayed in the movie, was awesome. Particularly liked the blood in shooting Sean's character's cousin. And I do hope you didn't really cut yourself.

Overall verdict, it was a great watch, I'd definitely refer it to my imaginary audience, but apparently I do have an audience. The plot was great, though like I said, the compactness of the film did raise a bit of plot hole questions here and there. But it's a definite must watch.

So for my readers out there, check out this short film by AJ Maas and his crew at SmokinBarrelStudios. It's a definite must see short film, and I look forward in your aid for my music video project. Keep up the great work.

And if you guys have any questions, they'll be more than happy to answer them. Just email your questions at :
smokinbarrelstudios@gmail.com, hope you guys enjoy their movie as much as I did!



Until next time!

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=2908AD71990297A5






No comments: