Saturday, May 23, 2009

Sleepless Nights. [Preview]

(Since Marcus [http://superegotron.blogspot.com] and John [http://snucksforthewin.blogspot.com] have all released some sort of story, I figured I'd show you guys a preview of the story I am working on. It's something new, as I do tend to try to write new things as I evolve as writer. And here you go.)

My condition must be affecting my brain. Every time I open my eyes, it seems to take a while for my mind to recall my memories. I didn’t think it was possible for a human brain to lag. Regardless, I knew that I was going to die. It’s inevitable. I spend my time waiting for the Grim Reaper and pondering my entire life while lying on this hospital bed. I guess what my parents said were true, I was never the optimistic type. But how could one be optimistic when his own doctors have placed him on death row? My parents have accepted the fact that I was to pass away. It seems like the only people who are hoping for me to survive are my siblings. How innocent they are, to hold hopes up to the point of impossibility. But a year ago, no one knew that this was to be my fate.

I took care of myself, ate regularly and healthily, exercised daily and made sure I was in top shape. After all, my curriculum in high school depended on me being physically and mentally fit. But if I knew that this was to be my fate, I would’ve spent more time enjoying life than focused on the future that I’ll never live.

It happened almost nine months ago. I was diagnosed with a weak immune system. The doctors had told me that if I took the proper medication, it would be like my immune system was not crippled by a biological mishap. Sometimes I wish that I was not born with an immune system, but I do wish that now, more than ever. The medication failed to do their job when a new virus was introduced into our ecosystem. Most people were sick for a few days and shrugged it off like a common cold. But when I was struck with this unfortunate bacterium, it was more serious. It not only made my medicine useless, it weakened my system far greater than any other virus. In other words, this harmless disease to normal beings became the reason for my condition.
Of course I went through all the stages of grief. I went through denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance, with each stage having their own comical tale. But I’ve already reached acceptance along with most of those in my life. I spend my days lying on this bed, staring at the window and watching people smile in the courtyard of this facility. I grew a hatred for the outside world. I grew hatred for everything around me. After all, how could I not? I was unlucky enough to draw the short straw and I was destined to be doomed. I hated feeling helpless the most. I sighed as I heard a knock on my door.

“Can I come in?” the familiar voice always brought light to my life. Her head peeked through the door and I found myself reflecting her smile.

No comments: