Friday, May 29, 2009

Mind Over Matter.

This post is actually inspired by that movie, Wanted. That one line made me think some things, so if you’re not a fan of my serious topics, then waste time elsewhere.

"If no one ever told you that a bullet went straight, what would you believe?"

It's not the exact words, but the concept is still there. Belief is powerful.


That made me think of that whole idea, if someone didn't tell you its primary function, what would you believe? A great example of this is religion. If you were born into a Hindu family, you'd believe in Hinduism, Christian, Christian, Atheist, etc. Now, put that concept in more materialistic things. If no one told you that cars stayed grounded, what would you think? If no one ever told you that clouds are particles from water that transformed into a gas through evaporation and condensation, what would you believe? If someone told you the water was poisonous and you could die from it, what would happen?

Get this; our minds are a powerful tool. It can make anything possible. Not literally, but mentally. And people exposed this fact. Harry Houdini used this technique in his metal abs that he boasts about. So does Chris Angel and a lot of other stunt artists and illusionist. So many people in the world believe this or have heard of this but they barely apply it to real life. I try to, but that's not what I'm here to talk about.

Let me get back to what if someone told you could die from water. Don't close your mind to the thought that only an idiot would believe that. We're smart because we learn things. Like a person will never know how to swim unless he learns it or is taught. Now, as I mentioned, our minds are powerful. So if you never knew what water is, and someone told you that you could die if you drink it, would your mind correspond to that thought? Would your mind be so convinced that it might actually start shutting down your system just so that it does not contradict your findings? Still don't believe me?

Okay, everything is mental. The whole world revolves around your mind. You hit a wall, you believe you feel pain, therefore you do. You might say that "you feel it, it sends signals through your nerve system and towards your brain, not the other way around." But a lot of ancient warriors trained themselves to "ignore" the pain. Or rather, erase its existence, through rigorous training. With hopes to change their way of thinking. Sure, it's not proving that it's all mental, but that was never my point. My point is that we can change ourselves by changing our thinking. Our whole existence revolves around your mental attitude. And I'll prove it to you. Why do you think parents tell their children, they can be anything? So that they will believe that and will think that anything is possible.

They say that a person becomes himself in his first eight years, everything else is just improvement. What I mean is that when a person is placed in this world, he's already got characteristics prepared, because of his environment. Up to his first eight years, he will take this to heart, because scientists believe that people remember the best in the first eight years of their lives. But as he grows, he adapts to the demands of his era.

I was born in the Philippines. I have a huge family there, so does everyone. This environment influenced my way of thinking, therefore, influenced who I am and how I think. When I was a child, I was surrounded with my cousins having short relationships, and my parents having a loving and committed marriage. Now, for those of you who know me, you can see just how that turned out. I lived with the biggest hospitality known to man, and here I am, so open and kind to strangers that I sometimes can’t believe myself that I am capable of that. Born with parents that always give it their all, no matter the situation, and here I am, placing 100% effort in anything I deem worthy. I could get into more details but I think it’s better if you get to know me the old fashioned way, and not reading through my blog.

But I’ll focus on the relationship portion. Because that’s why I started to write this whole statement. I was just giving you some background information. That line, “If you weren’t told that a bullet went straight, what would you believe?” made me think about my relationships. I was told at a young age that relationships are fun, loving, and special. But life has taught me otherwise. I’ve been through a lot, but somehow, that concept of fun, loving and special still persevere. This is the best proof that I can provide you with how powerful the mind is. I never partake in a relationship that is one sided. I always end up with people who know how to have fun and have a good time. And I try, to my best abilities, to count each relation special. But this is where the short relationships and committed marriage clash.

I get bored easily. And if the relationship ceases to amuse me, it falters. That remains the same, sadly. I use to always give too much and girls never liked that, so I adapted and I changed, quite drastically. Special isn’t a word anymore as I’ve had one too many, but I’m back on that “girlfriends are special” mindset. And there showcases another point. I always forget how special relationships are supposed to be. Events in my life are a testimony on how much I forgot that magic that is included in a legit relationship. But with recent events, I remembered that feeling, and it has changed my outlook on dating. Thanks to this adaptation, I’ve become quite picky when falling for another chick. I suppose that’s a good thing, but I’ve seemed to have created a wall that doesn’t look like it’ll be torn down anytime soon. What I’m saying is that, no one has really impressed me, and if that insults you, then fair warning. I’m not as nice as I use to be. I adapted.

My point? Life changes you, there’s never an easy choice. I don’t pick one or the other, I find a compromise, because life’s taught me to never let go of things worth fighting for easily. Even if the other option is just as equal. If you like another person but you’re still with a current boyfriend, don’t let go of one just for the other. Let your friendship grow with the other person, you never know, maybe it’s just infatuation, maybe not. Maybe that new friend is what you’ve been waiting for. Or maybe that person is the kind of competition your boyfriend needs to take you seriously again. Whatever it is, find a compromise. See how anti-slut that analogy was? But I bet, if I substituted the boyfriend for girlfriend, you would flip a switch. Find a middle path, find content, never feel dissatisfaction.

I believe that no one will ever match the full extent of what my love can offer. After all, what’s the point of doing something, unless you do it whole heartedly? If you think you can prove me wrong, then be my guest. I’ve been waiting for a while for someone to prove me wrong in regards to how relationships are.

Then again, maybe this feeling will last as long as my relationships do.

Regardless, this is who I am, and I have never changed who I am for anyone.

So with all that said, I believe that things happen for a reason and I think I’ve finally started believing that there is someone out there for me.

Because I was told that you’re not complete until you find your other half.

So, Ms Other Half, can you find me soon? I miss your companionship.

No comments: